Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy New Year

I hope your year is off to a good start. I have been meaning to post on here for ages, but I feel time just slips away in the evening once the kids are asleep. Anyway, we are all doing fine. Christmas was really nice this year. We didn't go anywhere for a change. We did have Christmas with Emily's family here on Christmas day and the Saturday after Christmas. Jack was SUPER excited about the holidays this year and really got into the spirit of it all. Claire was very curious and seemed to enjoy herself, though the highlight for her seemed to be all the boxes and paper to play with/eat.

Dave and I both had two weeks off over Christmas/New Year which was also really nice and unusual for us. We have never had that much time off when we didn't go somewhere. We decided it was really great and we should do it more often! We saw lots of friends and family over the break and just relaxed and caught up with lots of people. Now that we are back to work I sort of wish I had accomplished more during the break, but it was also nice not to do much.

I, Emily, have been having eye/vision problems with one eye since the end of November. I finally got an appt. with an opthomologist last Friday and it was determined that I have a chronic disease that will likely come and go over the rest of my life. My vision will decrease during flare ups, but should go back to normal while in remission. It is just treated with eye drops for a month during flare ups. It isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things as long as I only get it in one eye at a time. I get double vision in the eye that has it. Little spots form on my cornea that cause the problem. It is kind of annoying, but at least I know what it is now, it is treatable, and my vision isn't getting permanently worse!

On another vision note, we are taking Jack to the eye doctor tomorrow to see what is going on with his vision too. He has been squinting a bunch lately and trying to look at things with only one eye. We suspect he may have a lazy eye like his dad. I hate for him to have to get glasses at such a young age, but I'll also feel better once we know what the problem is and can start to correct it so he can see properly.

Claire is doing really well. She is getting over a cold this week, but she is happy as usual. Knock on wood, she has been sleeping a bit better the last week or so. She is beginning to learn how to get herself back to sleep when she wakes in the night. She is still getting up for a 5-6am bottle...which isn't cool, but hopefully she'll decide she doesn't need that soon. She has gotten two more teeth and is working on at least three more at the moment. She has been taking several steps lately but prefers to crawl still. She also showed us tonight that she can get herself up on the sofa!

I'll try to post more regularly. Hopefully this resolution will get off to a better start than my healthy eating/exercise plan has so far!

No comments: